Thursday, September 6, 2018

Moshe: The Man in the Coppermind. Scroll 7: Reader Comments on Scroll 2: Through A Mind, Darkly



Moshe: The Man in the Coppermind: Scroll 2. Through A Mind, Darkly

Editor SH's note: All the comments have been edited for continuity and to correct any spelling, grammar and punctuation errors. Any remaining mistakes are the editor's own.

"It sounds like something my friends in various groups on Insight Timer will appreciate." - anonymous pre-reader

"Well, I do suffer from mental health issues myself, although I do have something more like OCD.

Stories like the ones Moshe are contributing to are an important way to shed light on these sorts of things, and also to make the people suffering feel that they are not alone.

It's always important to be kind and understanding toward people who suffer from different mental issues. I think it is hard to understand what it is like if you don’t have any. So be kind and respectful.

And to those who suffer from these things: keep on fighting. Every time you can do something that normal people can, you beat the disease." -Sharder Toaster Retribution

“Wow, I love this. I’ve been reading a lot about bipolar disorder because my boyfriend has a mild form called cyclothymia, and I wanted to understand it better. It’s so complicated.

We’d get into fights because I couldn’t tell over text what kind of mood he was in. I was done (with dating) after my daughter’s father, but he brought me out of hiding.

We still love each other very much, but he feels like his condition causes him to constantly hurt me, so he thinks he’s protecting me by staying away. It’s almost worse than if he was an asshole, because he’s hurting as much if not more than me.

It’s crazy, the mania and then coming down from it and dealing with the aftermath. He feels guilty like all the time.

He just started speaking to me again, after a two month low where he completely isolated himself from everyone, so I’ve been distracted. He’s on medication but probably needs more help. He’s had a lot of trauma in his life.

It’s awful and not something I told a lot of people, because there’s such a lot of stigma. I am happy that Moshe’s raising awareness. I think it’s great. People really misunderstand and treat it like a character flaw. I love the article and I hope lots of people read it.” - anonymous reader

"I propose the correct treatment here doesn't lie with Western medicine.

As someone who, from time to time, struggles from something akin to mania, I find the holistic and comprehensive healing methodology of the body, mind, spirit and beyond via Eastern wisdom, such as the right diet, meditation techniques and the science of yoga (which includes meditation) to be much more effective and in line with reality, rather than a chemical imbalance as proposed by Western doctors.

Though of course not denying the plausibility of real serious mental illnesses that might benefit greatly from Western medicine.

Is the schizophrenic really ill, or just perceiving reality differently, is yet another question.

Johann Hari's book on depression, Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression – and the Unexpected Solutions, Is one of much enlightenment.

He proposes one's social and environmental deficits as the main reason for depression." - Tera, music composer for film and visual media

"Interesting that he saved the software to remind himself." - anonymous reader

"It’s super well written. I like it and the pictures are perfect." - Navya Malla

“Thank you. My situation has been very similar and I have experienced the shame surrounding this issue, but hopefully people are becoming more aware and accepting.

This book series looks very intriguing. I'm going to pick up a copy of The Way of Kings, although I am a very slow reader (more due to finding time then to actual mental acuity).” - Anonymous

"Society didn't used to care at all about mental health problems.

Now any deviation from the norm makes people say that person needs to be separated from society, is a danger to himself and others etc.

Not sure how article de-stigmatizes. Moshe is a danger to himself and others. He can identify other ticking time bombs. But why would the stigma be less?

Is article suppose to help people recognize these issues in themselves, and may help encourage them to seek help?

Because I thought of the word "destigmatize" as meaning "teach people who are not affected that people who are affected by this are totally OK, normal, fine people."

But that wasn't goal of article. I didn't read anything that made me think the editor was normal or OK; different issue; not more afraid, but not less afraid.

It will make people more aware that there are many people with such mental health issues living amongst us.

What would you think of this paragraph: "Bipolar people like to buy weird stuff. Not all of them are murderers." Some of them have good jobs.

I am not suggesting that be done. The problem is, that is the message I read.

The message that buying weird stuff is a sign of craziness, that people who are currently holding down good jobs may be unstable, and you never know which, rather than destigmatizing, only widens the net." - Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment