Monday, September 19, 2011

Stopping by pond on a chilly afternoon

by Sharon Ho



Whose pond this is I most certainly know.
His mansion is a walk away though;
He does not know this is where I go,
A refuge to mull things over slow.

Events at Thornfield Hall have been so queer
A strange laugh, a mysterious fire, an attacked guest.
Odder still is that he seems to hold me dear
Since I am poor and plain, I have to confess.

Our different stations divides us.
He is the master of Thornfield Manor,
And I am only his ward’s governess.
Can we ever be together, I wonder?

Gazing at my watery mirror,
I wish for a better reflection.
Someone more worthy of his ardor,
A rich beauty to match his adoration.

-Jane Eyre

This poem is an amalgam of three works of art: Claude Monet's 1876 oil painting Pond At Montgeron, Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, and it is also a small tribute to Robert Frost's Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment